"Regarding a preemption bill in the Oregon House: "Today is the day the Oregon Restaurant Association asks for a return on its heavy investments in elections."Jeff Merkley
Kansas workplaces and public places are 100% smokefree!
On July 1, 2010, all of Kansas' enclosed workplaces and public places, including restaurants and bars, went 100% smokefree. Governor Parkinson signed this significant bill into law on March 12, 2010. Read Kansas' smokefree law.
Kansas's statewide law was built upon the many communities that have been actively working on smokefree air efforts for many years. Thirty cities have already brought smokefree air to town, including Overland Park, Olathe, Lawrence, Topeka, Newton and Fairway.
- To learn about the smokefree law, visit Clean Air Kansas or Kansas Smoke-Free.
- To learn more about ongoing tobacco control efforts around the state, visit Tobacco Free Kansas.
Kansas law does not preempt the passage of local smokefree laws. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Kansas.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Kansas' 2018 Legislative Session: January 9 - Early May
There aren't any legislative summaries for this state at this time. Please check back.
- 4/29/2019In Washington, Juul Vows to Curb Youth Vaping. Its Lobbying in States Runs Counter to That Pledge.
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 3/25/2014Senate passes gaming reform in southeast Kansas
- 1/26/2013Kansas smoking ban hasn't choked off bars, restaurants, study finds
- 5/4/2012House kicks bill allowing smoking in bars to committee, likely killing it for the year
- 5/3/2012Jensen urges legislators to reject bill to weaken indoor smoking ban
- 4/6/2012Smoking ban survives constitutional challenge
- 3/12/2012House members burning to relax smoking ban
- 2/10/2012Bill Could Allow Smoking In Kansas Bars
- 2/2/2012Push grows to ban smoking indoors at Kansas casinos
- 12/7/2011State supreme court to hear smoking case
- 11/3/2011Hearing scheduled for smoking ban case
- 5/10/2011Keep public smoking ban in Kansas
- 5/5/2011Smoking ban in state casinos materializes again
- 3/23/2011Kan. House votes to ban smoking in state casinos
- 3/17/2011Bill to ban smoking in casinos advances in Kansas House
- 3/8/2011Bill would make smoking OK in bars selling lottery tickets
- 11/21/2010Senate changes bring uncertainty
- 10/8/2010Governor candidates: Change smoking ban
- 8/31/2010Judge rules in favor of smoking ban; takes effect in Wichita today
- 7/1/2010Kansas goes smoke-free
- 4/30/2010Kansas House declines to reconsider new law banning smoking bars
- 3/18/2010Panel eyes exemptions to state's smoking ban
- 3/12/2010Governor signs smoking ban bill
- 2/26/2010Statewide smoking ban starts on July 1
- 2/25/2010Battle for statewide smoking ban looming
- 2/25/2010Kansas smoking ban passes, on its way to governor
- 2/11/2010Kansas bill would trump local smoking bans
- 2/5/2010EDITORIAL: Wrong direction
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 2/4/2010Clean Air Advocates Critical Of New Smoking Ban
- 1/18/2010Smoking Ban Exemption For Casinos In Kansas Has Others Crying Foul
- 1/14/2010Kansas governor boosts state smoking ban but hurdles remain
- 9/1/2009Parkinson to push for statewide smoking ban
- 4/1/2009Smoking ban bill goes back to House
- 3/31/2009Smoking ban smolders on in Kansas Legislature
- 3/19/2009Senate committee resuscitates smoking ban
- 3/18/2009House tables smoking bill
- 3/18/2009Kan. House panel to vote on smoking ban
- 3/10/2009House Committee Considers Kansas Smoking Ban
- 2/10/2009Senate sparking statewide smoking ban debate
- 2/3/2009Smoking under fire in state Senate
- 1/28/2009Governor Hopes Smoking Ban Similar to Salina's Goes Statewide
- 1/20/2009New tactic on proposed Kan. smoking ban
- 6/23/2008‘Health reform is a multiyear process - in Kansas
- 4/19/2008Smoking ban's future up in the air
- 2/27/2008New smoking ban introduced
- 2/25/2008Smoking ban vote on Wednesday
- 2/23/2008Senate adds exemptions to smoking ban bill
- 1/4/2008Lawmakers face hotbed of political drama in ’08
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.