"The immediate implications for our business are clear: if our consumers have fewer opportunities to enjoy our products, they will use them less frequently and the result will be an adverse impact on our bottom line. Even more important, accommodation / preemption laws shape the real-world environment in which our customers and their non-smoking friends and associates live every day. If smokers are banished to doorways and loading docks in front of buildings, it makes smokers feel like outcasts and gives encouragement to the antis. On the other hand, if we live in a society that accommodates smokers and non-smokers alike, it sends the message that smoking is a viable life-style choice and an adult's decision to use a legal product should be respected."Tina Walls
Philip Morris (PM)
All of Maryland's enclosed workplaces, including restaurants, bars, and private clubs, are 100% smokefree as of February 1, 2008. Maryland's statewide smokefree victory followed years of hard work to enact strong local smokefree laws that covered 50% of Maryland's population, including laws in Montgomery County, Howard County, Prince George's County, Takoma Park, Kensington, Baltimore and Rockville. Read Maryland's smokefree law.
For more information about the smokefree law or to file a complaint, call the Clean Indoor Air Act Help Line at 1-866-703-3266 or visit the Maryland Department of Health.
Maryland law does not preempt the passage of local smokefree laws. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Maryland.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Maryland's 2016 Legislative Session: January 13 - April 11
- 1/27/2017HB0354—(e-cigarette use)—An act concerning the Clean Indoor Air Act—Unfavorable Report by Economic Matters Committee
- 1/27/2017HB0396—(cigar bar alcohol license)—An Act concerning cigar shop licenses—Hearing in Economic Matters Committee scheduled for 2/20
- 1/27/2017HB0500—(housing rules)—An Act concerning smoking restrictions—Unfavorable Report by Environment and Transportation Committee
- 2/10/2017HB0597—(hotels)—An Act concerning the Clean Indoor Air Act—Unfavorable Report by Economic Matters Committee
- 2/3/2017HB0600—(multi-unit housing)—An Act concerning the Use of Medical Oxygen in Residential Dwellings—Unfavorable Report by Economic Matters Committee
- 2/10/2017HB1043—(marijuana use)—An Act concerning smoking marijuana—Favorable with Amendments Report by Judiciary
- 2/17/2017HB1445—(cigar bar alcohol license)—An Act concerning cigar shop licenses—Hearing in Economic Matters Committee on 2/20
- 1/20/2017SB0175—(multi-unit housing)—An Act concerning the Use of Medical Oxygen in Residential Dwellings—Unfavorable Report by Finance Committee
- 2/3/2017SB0445—(marijuana use)—An Act concerning smoking marijuana in a public place—Hearing in Judicial Proceedings Committee on 3/2
- 2/3/2017SB0624—(e-cigarette use)—An act concerning the Clean Indoor Air Act—Unfavorable Report by Finance Committee; Withdrawn
- 2/17/2017SB0775—(cigar bar alcohol license)—An Act concerning cigar shop licenses—Hearing in Education, Health, and Environmental Affairs on 2/24
- 1/27/2017SB326—(cigar bar alcohol license)—An Act concerning cigar shop licenses—Unfavorable Report by Education, Health, and Environmental Affairs
- 3/17/2017Preemption Watch Bill Tracking Summary
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/24/2016Bill would allow MGM National Harbor to open a cigar lounge in smoke-free Maryland
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 3/9/2011Bill to Ban Smoking in Cars With Kids May Reach Md. House Floor
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 4/3/2008MINNICK/STONE ATTEMPT TO AMEND SMOKING BAN FAILS
- 2/26/2008Exemption sought for smoking ban
- 1/27/2008Snuff out that cigarette
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.