"Because regulations in general may be more effective if generated and enforced at the local level, considerable energy is devoted to the issue of opposing or repealing preemption of local authority by states. Public health analyses have resulted in strong recommendations that state laws not preempt local action..."Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Reducing Tobacco Use: A Report of the Surgeon General, 2000
Massachusetts' workplaces, restaurants, and bars have been 100% smokefree since July 5, 2004. The law has limited exceptions for membership associations and smoking bars, which are defined as bars in which 51% or more of the revenue is generated by the sale of tobacco products. Massachusetts' statewide success was built upon strong 100% smokefree laws adopted in more than 100 local communities. Read Massachusetts's 100% smokefree law.
Massachusetts law does not preempt the passage of local smokefree laws. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Massachusetts.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Massachusetts' 2016 Legislative Session: January 6 - July 31
- 3/3/2017H1158—(board of health preemption)—An Act relative to local boards of health and the sale of legal tobacco products in the Commonwealth
- 2/24/2017H1170—(vehicles with minors)—An Act to protect little lungs
- 2/24/2017H1176—(public gatherings)—An Act to ban smoking in certain public places
- 3/10/2017H1217—(schools)—An Act modernizing tobacco control and protecting the health of minors—Hearing held 5/16
- 3/10/2017H2448—(public housing distance)—An Act prohibiting smoking near public housing buildings
- 3/10/2017H2455—(tobacco-free pharmacies)—An Act restricting the sale of tobacco products at health care institutions—Hearing held 5/16
- 4/21/2017H2864—(broad tobacco control bill)—An Act to protect youth from the health risks of tobacco and nicotine addiction—Hearing held 5/16
- 4/21/2017H3602—(condominiums)—An Act relative to secondhand smoke in condominiums—Hearing held 5/16
- 2/24/2017SB181—(child care homes)—An Act to provide for the protection of children—Recommended passage from House Committee on Families, Children, and Seniors
- 1/20/2017SD1089—(tobacco-free pharmacies)—An Act restricting the sale of tobacco products at health care institutions—Hearing held 5/16
- 1/20/2017SD1353—(broad tobacco control bill)—An Act to protect youth from the health risks of tobacco and nicotine addiction—Hearing held 5/16
- 1/13/2017SD253—(tobacco-free pharmacies)—An Act restricting the sale of tobacco products at health care institutions—Hearing held 5/16
- 6/26/2017Preemption Watch Bill Tracking Summary
- 7/20/2016Urgent! Speak up today to protect MA kids!
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 7/25/2016State lawmakers urged to pass stricter tobacco laws
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 6/16/2016State lawmakers urge passage of tough new tobacco regulations
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 10/30/2013Bill regulating e-cigarettes OK'd by committee
- 1/29/2012Ten years later, we're healthier
- 11/22/2011Patrick signs casino bill into law
- 11/14/2011Casino bill edges closer to governor's desk
- 9/15/2011Massachusetts House approves casino gambling
- 8/24/2011State leaders agree on casino bill
- 7/22/2011Snuff out stogies
- 6/4/2011LTE: Policies, enforcement critical to protecting public health
- 6/1/2011Local power goes up in smoke
- 1/6/2011State seeks to make hospitals smoke-free
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 7/11/2009Bill expands smoking ban in state
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.