"Advocate for local government legislative and regulatory autonomy to control tobacco. Support initiatives to repeal preemptive statutes or replace preemptive language in existing state legislation with specific non-preemptive language. Support the inclusion of specific anti-preemption language in all tobacco control legislation and oppose legislation containing any preemptive language. Expose legislative tactics that seek to rescind existing local tobacco control ordinances or invoke ‘super-preemption' of all local tobacco control legislation through language added to minor or unrelated bills."Association of State and Territorial Health Officials
Policy Statement on Tobacco Use Prevention and Control, July 2000
All workplaces, restaurants and bars in Minnesota are 100% smokefree as of October 1, 2007. Minnesota's smokefree statewide victory built upon numerous local smokefree laws enacted around the state, including Minneapolis, St. Paul, Bloomington, Golden Valley and Mankato. Read Minnesota's 100% smokefree law.
For more information about the Freedom to Breathe Act, including how to report a violation, visit Fresh Air Minnesota or call 1-800-798-9050.
Minnesota law does not preempt the passage of local smokefree laws. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Minnesota.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Minnesota's 2018 Legislative Session: February 20 - May 21
- 3/16/2018HF3532—(schools)—An Act relating to health
- 1/5/2018SF2370—(schools)—An Act relating to health—Carry over to 2018
- 4/13/2018Preemption Watch Bill Tracking Summary
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 5/14/2014Conference committee compromises on e-cigarette regulations
- 5/5/2014Minnesota Legislature moves to regulate e-cigarettes. But how much remains unclear.
- 3/25/2014Minn Senate to take up E-cigs
- 1/17/2013Legislator wants to ban actors from smoking on stage
- 2/17/2011Editorial: Keep 'Freedom' intact
- 1/28/2011Editorial: Keep smoking ban for sake of public health
- 1/24/2011Minnesota proposal would allow smoking in bars
- 7/28/2010After three years, smoking ban compliance better than expected
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.