"Any Federal or State regulation of tobacco products should contain unambiguous non-preemption provisions, expressly clarifying that higher standards of public health protection imposed by State and Local governments are preserved."Congressional Advisory Committee on Tobacco Policy And Public Health (Co-Chairs: C. Everett Koop, M.D. and David A. Kessler, M.D.), Final Report, July 1997
New Hampshire restaurants and bars are smokefree
All New Hampshire restaurants and bars are 100% smokefree as of September 17, 2007. This law was an important step forwards to protect many New Hampshire workers who remain exposed to secondhand smoke on the job. Unfortunately, the law did not address the existing smokefree regulations for non-hospitality workplaces, which can permit enclosed smoking areas, and the bill did not restore local control. Read more about New Hampshire's 100% smokefree law.
For information, call (603) 271-6891 or visit the Tobacco
Prevention and Control Program.
To report a violation, call (800) 852-3345 x 8949 or fill out an online form.
For cessation help, visit the New Hampshire Tobacco Helpline.
New Hampshire preempts local governments from enacting smokefree regulations. In 2003, the New Hampshire Supreme Court determined that the state indoor smoking law constitutes a comprehensive and detailed statutory scheme that has no statutory provision permitting additional municipal regulation of smoking in restaurants. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in New Hampshire.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
New Hampshire's 2016 Legislative Session: January 6 - July 1
- 1/13/2017HB175—(cigar bar definition)—An Act relative to the definition of a cigar bar—Inexpedient to Legislate
- 1/6/2017HB279—(cigar bar exemption)—An Act relative to cigarette smoking and the sale of food in cigar bars—Tabled on voice vote
- 2/3/2017SB145—(vehicles with minors)—An Act prohibiting smoking in motor vehicles when a passenger under the age of 16 is in the vehicle—Pending Motion Re-refer to Committee
- 6/26/2017Preemption Watch Bill Tracking Summary
- 1/12/2017Speak up to protect smokefree air in New Hampshire!
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/8/2017Smoke in the air again
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/31/2017Another View: Don't bring smoking back to NH restaurants
- 1/13/2017New Hampshire Lawmaker Sponsors Bill to Overturn Smoking Bans
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 12/9/2013N.H. Smoking Ban Could Be Broadened
- 10/12/2010Cigarette ban likely to pass in N.H., too
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 12/6/2009Lawmakers considering smoking ban at NH beaches
- 5/26/2009Smoke and mirrors behind cigar bar bill
- 3/12/2009Smoking bill fails in House
- 9/17/2008NH Smoking Ban: One Year Later
- 8/27/2008EDITORIAL: Banning smoke
- 4/25/2008Senate won't give cigar bars a break
- 3/5/2008N.H. House votes to exempt cigar bars from smoking ban
- 1/11/2008Smoking ban going smoothly, but state efforts not faring well
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.