"I've learned from experience that as soon as I'm identified as a representative of the Tobacco Institute, I lose all credibility. They just sneer us away... so I try to work behind the scenes whenever I can."Ron Saldana
All workplaces, restaurants, bars, and casinos in Ohio are 100% smokefree as of December 7th, 2006. In November 2006, Ohio voters approved the strong smokefree law with 58.3% voter support for SmokeFree Ohios Issue 5. During the campaign, R.J. Reynolds and other tobacco industry allies attempted to override the health community-backed initiative by placing a competing measure on the ballot, which offered no real smokefree protections. Voters rejected Issue 4 , the tobacco-backed amendment, by 64%, thus leaving the door wide open for smokefree air. Read Ohio's 100% smokefree law.
In 2012, the Ohio Supreme Court unanimously upheld the smokefree air law, ruling against a legal challenge regarding the law's enforcement and penalties. The law has remained in effect during the legal proceedings.
To learn more about the law, visit the Ohio
Department of Health or call 1-866-634-7654
To report a violation, call 1-866-559-OHIO (6446)
Ohio's 2018 Legislative Session: January 2 - TBD
Ohio law does not preempt the passage of local smokefree laws. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Ohio.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
- 1/5/2018SB106—(vehicles with minors)—A bill to prohibit smoking in a motor vehicle—Carry over to 2018
- 4/13/2018Preemption Watch Bill Tracking Summary
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 12/7/201610th anniversary of Smoke Free Workplace Act celebrated today
- 12/4/2016Ohio smoking ban 10 years later
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 3/25/2016Don't weaken smoking ban
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 6/19/2015Horseshoe Casino Cincinnati smoking patio violates state law, inspectors say
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 8/13/2014Ohio casinos: Smoke while you gamble
- 9/9/2012Ohio Board of Education wants school districts to go tobacco-free
- 7/25/2012Ohio Supreme Court stands by defense of smoking ban
- 5/23/2012Ohio Smoke Free Workplace Act is constitutional
- 12/7/2011Five years later, smoking ban complaints decrease significantly
- 9/2/2011Restaurants not hurt by Ohio smoking ban
- 12/9/2010Worst smoking fears confirmed
- 11/19/2010Advocates celebrate smoking ban
- 8/7/2010Smoke-free law working
- 5/24/2010Smoking ban hits 3-year mark
- 2/28/2010Smoking ban complaints drop in Ohio
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 5/5/2009Legislator makes second attempt to modify state smoking ban
- 3/2/2009Lawmaker wants smoking ban changes
- 12/17/2008Smoking ban to survive this General Assembly intact
- 12/7/2008Some pushing for changes to Ohio's public smoking ban
- 11/30/2008Lame-duck session to discuss voting, smoking
- 11/24/2008Senate bill aims to soften public ban on smoking
- 11/11/2008Proposals Would Permit Some Public Smoking In Ohio
- 9/17/2008Ohio smoking ban rewrite
- 6/24/2008Bill would ease smoking ban
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.