"The immediate implications for our business are clear: if our consumers have fewer opportunities to enjoy our products, they will use them less frequently and the result will be an adverse impact on our bottom line. Even more important, accommodation / preemption laws shape the real-world environment in which our customers and their non-smoking friends and associates live every day. If smokers are banished to doorways and loading docks in front of buildings, it makes smokers feel like outcasts and gives encouragement to the antis. On the other hand, if we live in a society that accommodates smokers and non-smokers alike, it sends the message that smoking is a viable life-style choice and an adult's decision to use a legal product should be respected."Tina Walls
Philip Morris (PM)
All Vermont workplaces are smokefree. All enclosed public places, restaurants, bars, private clubs and bingo venues have been 100% smokefree since 2005, and all non-hospitality workplaces have been 100% smokefree since 2009. Starting July 1, 2016, the use of e-cigarettes and other electronic smoking devices will not be allowed in smokefree spaces.
In 2009, a law was adopted to close loopholes in the 2005 smokefree law that had allowed smoking rooms under certain conditions in non-hospitality workplaces. Read Vermont's 2005 100% smokefree law for restaurants and bars, and the 2009 law for non-hospitality workplaces.
To learn more about Vermont's smokefree laws, visit the VT
Department of Health.
To report a violation, call the Department of Health at 800-439-8550.
Vermont law does not preempt the passage of local smokefree laws. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Vermont.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Vermont's 2016 Legislative Session: January 5 - May 7
- 1/27/2017H127—(all multi-unit housing)—An Act relating to prohibiting smoking in multi-unit housing—Session Adjourned
- 2/3/2017H187—(reasonable distance)—An Act relating to prohibiting smoking outside places of business—Session Adjourned
- 5/26/2017Preemption Watch Bill Tracking Summary
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 3/25/2014Widespread Smoking Ban Considered in State Legislature
- 3/4/2014House bill bans smoking with kids in car, considers raising tobacco age to 21
- 2/27/2014Vermont lawmakers debate further limits on tobacco use
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 7/1/2009Smoking restrictions, tax increases take effect in Vermont
- 5/30/2009Workplace smoking ban starts July 1
- 4/24/2009Smoking lounges going the way of the dodo
- 3/10/2009Ban sought on all smoking in the workplace
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.