"The American Public Health Association "(1) Opposes state and federal laws preempting local governments' ability and authority to enact their own more stringent restrictions on alcohol and tobacco availability; and (2) Supports local governments' home rule to sue their zoning, planning, and other local police powers to control alcohol and tobacco problems, including advertising and access."American Public Health Association, Resolution 9410, 1994
All of Connecticut's restaurants and bars, plus bowling allies, race tracks and off track betting establishments, are 100% smokefree. Unfortunately, smoking is permitted in separately ventilated smoking rooms in workplaces with 5 or more employees, and smaller workplaces with 4 or fewer employees may permit smoking. Read Connecticut's 100% smokefree law.
Connecticut law preempts local control of smokefree air, stating "The provisions of this section shall supersede and preempt the provisions of any municipal law or ordinance relative to smoking effective prior to, on, or after October 1, 1993." Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Connecticut.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Connecticut's 2017 Legislative Session: January 4 - June 7 (est.)
- 1/13/2017HB05663—(vehicles with minors)—An Act Concerning Smoking in Motor Vehicles—Session Adjourned
- 1/19/2017HB05762—(rehabilitation programs)—An Act Prohibiting Smoking At Rehabilitation Programs—Session Adjourned
- 1/19/2017HB05807—(vehicles with minors)—An Act Concerning Smoking in Motor Vehicles—Session Adjourned
- 1/27/2017HB06298—(vehicles with minors)—An Act Concerning Smoking in Motor Vehicles
- 1/27/2017HB06691—(vehicles with minors)—An Act Prohibiting Smoking in a Motor Vehicle When a Child Is Present
- 2/17/2017HB7089—(workplaces; preemption repeal)—An Act Concerning The Department Of Public Health's Recommendations Regarding Enhancements In Tobacco Control—Hearing in Joint Committee on Public Health on 3/20
- 1/19/2017SB00313—(recreation spaces)—An Act Prohibiting Smoking In Outdoor Public Recreation Spaces
- 3/10/2017SB1001—(state park beaches)—An Act Prohibiting Smoking in State Parks—Tied vote in Senate 18-18 on 5/24
- 6/26/2017Preemption Watch Bill Tracking Summary
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 10/1/2015Connecticut e-cigarette restriction laws start today
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 10/23/2010Smoking Ban: Seven Years Later, Dramatic Changes in Fairfield County Bars
- 5/6/2010Time runs out on 2 Conn. smoking ban bills
- 4/23/2010State Senate would restrict smoking
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 8/14/2009Hookah lounge owner fumes awaiting state review
- 4/21/2009Despite Threats, Casino Smoking Ban Advances
- 2/28/2009Casino smoking bill seen lacking
- 1/8/2009Mohegan Sun smoking issue on the agenda for state, tribe
- 5/7/2008House Snuffs Out Proposal To Ban Smoking At Casinos
- 5/3/2008Casino smoking ban passes Senate
- 5/1/2008Senate vote on casino smoking ban could come today
- 4/8/2008Mohegans Won't Negotiate Smoking Limits Unless Bill Dies
- 3/15/2008Proposal To Ban Casino Smoking Is Being Retooled
- 2/29/2008Casino Dealers Want Tobacco Ban
- 2/26/2008Legislator seeks partial smoking ban in Conn. casinos
- 2/26/2008Legislature Considers Smoke-Free Casinos
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.