"Local communities should continue to control smoking in public. State legislatures should assume responsibility for ensuring smoke-free areas. Any preemptive tobacco laws should be repealed by public demand."American Medical Association
Journal of the American Medical Association, July 19, 1995
All indoor and partially enclosed workplaces and public places in Hawaii are 100% smokefree, including restaurants and bars. The law went into effect on November 16, 2006. Read Hawaii's 100% smokefree law.
Hawaii continues to take action to protect residents, workers, and visitors from secondhand smoke exposure. In 2014, Hawaii prohibited smoking in all properties owned by the state Public Housing Authority. In 2015, Hawaii prohibited the use of e-cigarettes in all smokefree spaces, and extended smokefree protections to state parks. In 2016, the grounds of Hawaii Health Systems Corporation facilities went smokefree.
Prior to the state law, local laws lead the way, with nearly 83% of Hawaii residents living in a county with a strong 100% smokefree law for indoor workplaces or restaurants. The new statewide law is an important step forward to protect those people who were not covered by a local smokefree law.
Hawaii law does not preempt the passage of local smokefree laws. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Hawaii.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Hawaii's 2018 Legislative Session: January 17 - May 3
- 2/1/2019HB1019â€”(expand local control)â€”A bill Relating to County Authority on the Sale and Use of Tobacco Products
- 2/1/2019HB1257â€”(condominiums)â€”An Act relating to condominiumsâ€”Hearing scheduled in Committee on Consumer Protection and Commerce for 2/5
- 2/1/2019HB1284â€”(expand local control)â€”A bill relating to public healthâ€”Passed Health Committee and re-referred to Health, Judicial, and Finance Committees
- 1/31/2019HB195â€”(expand local control)â€”An Act Relating To County Authority on the Sale of Tobacco Products
- 2/1/2019HB810â€”(condominiums)â€”An Act relating to condominiums
- 2/1/2019SB1245â€”(expand local control)â€”A bill Relating to County Authority on the Sale and Use of Tobacco Products
- 1/31/2019SB182â€”(expand local control)â€”An Act Relating To County Authority on the Sale of Tobacco Productsâ€”Passed Committee on Commerce, Consumer Protection, And Health
- 1/31/2019SB269â€”(condominiums)â€”An Act relating to condominiumsâ€”Passed Senate and sent to House on 3/5
- 1/31/2019SB524â€”(expand local control)â€”An Act Relating To County Authority on the Sale of Tobacco Products
- 7/31/2019States Are Thwarting Cities' Attempts to Govern Themselves
- 4/29/2019In Washington, Juul Vows to Curb Youth Vaping. Its Lobbying in States Runs Counter to That Pledge.
- 5/2/2018UH campuses on verge of going smokeless
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 11/17/2016Hawaii celebrates 10-year anniversary of Clean Indoor Air Act
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 12/11/2015State tobacco laws to change Jan. 1
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 4/21/2015Attempts to Crack Down on Smoking Still Alive in Legislature
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 2/18/2012House kills smoking exemption for bars
- 2/17/2012Bill exempting bars from smoking ban advances
- 2/7/2011Bill would allow drinkers to light up
- 2/9/2010Lawmaker crushes smoking bill
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 2/3/2009Hawaii may ban smoking on Waikiki Beach
- 1/12/2008OUR OPINION: Revise smoking ban to give options to bar owners
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.