"The anti-smoking movement has become more sophisticated in its efforts to enact bans and restrictions on smoking.... They have adopted a 'Pac-man' strategy where they attempt to gobble up one community at a time.... The 'Pac-man' strategy makes sense for the antis because it is easier for a group of extremists to have an impact on the local level than in larger jurisdictions.... The solution to 'Pac-man' is statewide pre-emption."Tina Walls
Maine's workplaces, restaurants and bars are 100% smokefree. Restaurants and bars are smokefree as of January 1, 2004, and all non-hospitality workplaces went smokefree on September 12, 2009. Read Maine's 100% smokefree laws.
Maine has also expanded smokefree protections to a number of additional venues. Outdoor dining areas of restaurants and bars are smokefree as of July 2009, as are beaches, playgrounds and other gathering areas of state parks as of May 2009. Also, smoking is prohibited in vehicles when children under the age of 16 are present as of September 1, 2008. In addition, all of Maine's public housing authorities have adopted smokefree policies for their buildings.
Maine law does not preempt the passage of local smokefree laws. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Maine.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Maine's 2018 Legislative Session: January 2 - April 18
- 3/8/2019LD1081â€”(marijuana smoking)â€”An Act To Impose Further Restrictions on where Marijuana May Be Smoked
- 3/8/2019LD152â€”(schools)â€”An Act To Prohibit the Possession and Use of Electronic Smoking Devices on School Grounds
- 1/31/2019LD343â€”(cigar bar exemption)â€”An Act To Promote Equity in Business Opportunity for Tobacco Specialty Stores
- 3/8/2019LD416â€”(outdoor dining area exemption)â€”An Act To Allow Eating Establishments To Permit Smoking Tobacco in Designated Outdoor Eating Areas
- 7/31/2019States Are Thwarting Cities' Attempts to Govern Themselves
- 4/29/2019In Washington, Juul Vows to Curb Youth Vaping. Its Lobbying in States Runs Counter to That Pledge.
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 10/7/2015New e-cigarette rules go into effect next week
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 9/11/2009New Law Bans Smoking In Outdoor Dining Areas
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.