"The American Public Health Association "(1) Opposes state and federal laws preempting local governments' ability and authority to enact their own more stringent restrictions on alcohol and tobacco availability; and (2) Supports local governments' home rule to sue their zoning, planning, and other local police powers to control alcohol and tobacco problems, including advertising and access."American Public Health Association, Resolution 9410, 1994
As of January 1, 2009, all of Oregon's non-hospitality workplaces, restaurants, and bars are 100% smokefree. Additionally, the 2009 law restored local control to allow all Oregonian communities to enact their own smokefree laws. Read Oregon's 100% smokefree law. Starting January 1, 2016, the use of e-cigarettes and marijuana is prohibited wherever smoking is not allowed.
On June 26, 2007, Oregon Governor Ted Kulongowski signed the law that closed the loopholes and repealed the preemptive language in Oregon's 2002 Smokefree Workplace Law.
Oregon state law is no longer preemptive. Oregon state law was preemptive 2002-2008, and provided that "A local county, district, municipality, port or political subdivision of this state may not prohibit smoking in any areas listed in this section unless the local government prohibition was passed before July 1, 2001." Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Oregon.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Oregon's 2018 Legislative Session: February 5 - March 12
- 2/1/2019HB2233â€”(marijuana lounges and special events)â€”A bill relating to marijuanaâ€”Public Hearing scheduled in Economic Development Committee for 3/13
- 3/8/2019HB3341â€”(reasonable distance)â€”An Act relating to distance from certain places in which person may not use inhalant
- 3/8/2019SB639â€”(marijuana lounges and events)â€”An Act relating to marijuanaâ€”Public hearing held in Business and General Government Committee on 2/28
- 7/31/2019States Are Thwarting Cities' Attempts to Govern Themselves
- 4/29/2019In Washington, Juul Vows to Curb Youth Vaping. Its Lobbying in States Runs Counter to That Pledge.
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 1/2/2016Indoor Use Of E-Cigarettes No Longer Allowed In Oregon
- 12/8/2015Law bans vaporizers, e-cigarettes in public buildings
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 11/7/2014Oregon agency won't press for beach smoking ban
- 8/21/2014Oregon may ban smoking along 363-mile coastline
- 5/22/2011Hookah bar slips through legislative loophole
- 4/29/2011Bill sets limits on smoke shops
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 2/3/2010As Oregon becomes increasingly smokefree, people are breathing easier
- 11/10/2009Study shows most Oregon bars are now smokefree
- 4/21/2009Hookah owners gasp at proposed law revision
- 1/1/2009More patrons, employees to breath easier Jan. 1
- 12/3/2008Smoke-free mandate set to begin Jan. 1
- 10/31/2008Workplaces preparing for Jan. 1 anti-smoking law
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
- 11/12/2010Oregon Indoor Clean Air Act Compliance Study
- 11/12/2010Oregon Indoor Clean Air Act Compliance Study Report 2009
- 11/18/2005Resolution: Morrow County, OR