"[T]he Association supports public policies in accordance with the following set of core principals for federal legislation: ...oppose federal preemption of state and local statutes."American Heart Association
American Heart Association Public Policy Agenda for the 107th Congress, 2001-2002
Georgia's state law that restricts where smoking can occur went into effect July 1, 2005. The law prohibits smoking in some enclosed public places and workplaces. However, smoking is still allowed in restaurants and bars that do not admit or employ people under 18 years old. Read Georgia's state law.
For information about the law, the Georgia Department of Health Services or contact the America Lung Association of Georgia at (770) 434-5864.
You can also call the Georgia Department of Health Services at 1-877-343-3340, or in the Atlanta area: 404-657-3378.
Georgia law does not preempt the passage of local smokefree laws. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Georgia.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Georgia's 2017 Legislative Session: January 1, 2017 - April 6, 2018
- 1/6/2017HB18—(vehicles with minors)—An Act relating to smokefree air
- 2/17/2017HB274—(vehicles with minors)—An Act regarding offenses against public health and morals,
- 3/17/2017Preemption Watch Bill Tracking Summary
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 1/2/2017Georgia lawmaker introduces smoking ban in car with children
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 6/22/2015Smoking Allowed In Many Restaurants, Bars in Georgia
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
- 7/21/2005Thank You Georgia Legislature