"The anti-smoking movement has become more sophisticated in its efforts to enact bans and restrictions on smoking.... They have adopted a 'Pac-man' strategy where they attempt to gobble up one community at a time.... The 'Pac-man' strategy makes sense for the antis because it is easier for a group of extremists to have an impact on the local level than in larger jurisdictions.... The solution to 'Pac-man' is statewide pre-emption."Tina Walls
All indoor and partially enclosed workplaces and public places in Hawaii are 100% smokefree, including restaurants and bars. The law went into effect on November 16, 2006. Read Hawaii's 100% smokefree law.
Hawaii continues to take action to protect residents, workers, and visitors from secondhand smoke exposure. In 2014, Hawaii prohibited smoking in all properties owned by the state Public Housing Authority. In 2015, Hawaii prohibited the use of e-cigarettes in all smokefree spaces, and extended smokefree protections to state parks. In 2016, the grounds of Hawaii Health Systems Corporation facilities went smokefree.
Prior to the state law, local laws lead the way, with nearly 83% of Hawaii residents living in a county with a strong 100% smokefree law for indoor workplaces or restaurants. The new statewide law is an important step forward to protect those people who were not covered by a local smokefree law.
Hawaii law does not preempt the passage of local smokefree laws. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Hawaii.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Hawaii's 2017 Legislative Session: January 18, 2017 - May 3, 2018 (est.)
- 1/27/2017HB1153—(college campuses)—An Act Relating to Prohibitions on University of Hawaii Premises—Session Adjourned
- 1/27/2017HB267—(condominiums)—An Act relating to condominiums—Session Adjourned
- 1/27/2017HB429—(college campuses)—An Act relating to the University of Hawaii—Session Adjourned
- 1/19/2017HB61—(vehicles with minors)—An Act Relating to the Statewide Traffic Code—Session Adjourned
- 1/27/2017HB829—(public housing violations)—An Act relating to public housing—Session Adjourned
- 1/27/2017SB1019—(college campuses)—An Act Relating to Prohibitions on University of Hawaii Premises—Session Adjourned
- 1/19/2017SB134—(college campuses)—An Act Relating to the University of Hawaii—Session Adjourned
- 1/19/2017SB151—(condominiums)—An Act Relating To Condominiums—Passed Senate—Session Adjourned
- 1/27/2017SB261—(vehicles with minors)—An Act relating to the Statewide Traffic Code—Session Adjourned
- 1/27/2017SB282—(vehicles with minors)—An Act relating to the Statewide Traffic Code—Session Adjourned
- 6/26/2017Preemption Watch Bill Tracking Summary
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 11/17/2016Hawaii celebrates 10-year anniversary of Clean Indoor Air Act
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 12/11/2015State tobacco laws to change Jan. 1
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 4/21/2015Attempts to Crack Down on Smoking Still Alive in Legislature
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 2/18/2012House kills smoking exemption for bars
- 2/17/2012Bill exempting bars from smoking ban advances
- 2/7/2011Bill would allow drinkers to light up
- 2/9/2010Lawmaker crushes smoking bill
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 2/3/2009Hawaii may ban smoking on Waikiki Beach
- 1/12/2008OUR OPINION: Revise smoking ban to give options to bar owners
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.