"Local communities should continue to control smoking in public. State legislatures should assume responsibility for ensuring smoke-free areas. Any preemptive tobacco laws should be repealed by public demand."American Medical Association
Journal of the American Medical Association, July 19, 1995
All workplaces, restaurants, bars and public places in Rhode Island are 100% smokefree as of March 1, 2005. As of October 1, 2006, local control is restored to all local communities in Rhode Island. Read Rhode Island's 100% smokefree law.
Initially, bars did not have to adhere to the smokefree provisions until October 1, 2006. However, the Rhode Island Superior Court ruled on March 31, 2005 that the exemption for Class C and D liquor license facilities was unconstitutional and that these bars must become smokefree immediately, rather than on October 1, 2006 as provided in statute.
Separately ventilated smoking gaming areas are permitted in pari mutual (off track betting) facilities and these facilities must allow employees to refuse to work in smoking areas of the facility without adverse impact from requesting to do so.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Rhode Island's 2016 Legislative Session: January 5 - June 30 (est.)
- 2/17/2017H5522—(lease termination)—An Act for Multi-Unit Residence Safety—Committee recommended measure be held for further study
- 3/3/2017H5741—(housing common areas)—An Act relating to health and safety—Committee recommended measure be held for further study
- 3/31/2017HB5821—(e-cigarette use and e-cigarette bar exemption)—An Act Relating to Public Health and Workplace Safety—Amended, passed House, and recommended for passage by Senate Health and Human Services Committee
- 2/17/2017S0357—(gaming facilities)—An Act Relating to Public Health and Workplace Safety—Committee recommended measure be held for further study
- 3/31/2017S0446—(e-cigarette use and e-cigarette bar exemption)—An Act Relating to Public Health and Workplace Safety—Amended, House passed Sub A, and on Senate Calendar for 6/28
- 6/26/2017Preemption Watch Bill Tracking Summary
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 2/17/2012Rhode Island may snuff out smoking on its public beaches
- 1/20/2012Lawmakers to mull smoking ban at RI beaches, parks
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 8/13/2009Anti-smoking bill needs loophole closed
- 2/16/2009Bill would ban Twin River smoking
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.