"[T]he Association supports public policies in accordance with the following set of core principals for federal legislation: ...oppose federal preemption of state and local statutes."American Heart Association
American Heart Association Public Policy Agenda for the 107th Congress, 2001-2002
All workplaces, restaurants, taverns and private clubs in Utah are 100% smokefree. Restaurants went smokefree in January 1995. The Utah Indoor Clean Air Act was strengthened in 2006, which extended smokefree provisions to all non-hospitality workplaces and day-care centers on May 1, 2006, and to private clubs and taverns on January 1, 2009 after an unfortunately long phase-in period.
Utah state law still "supersedes any ordinance enacted by a governing body of a political subdivision that restricts smoking and that is not essentially identical to the provisions of this chapter." Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Utah.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Utah's 2018 Legislative Session: January 22 - March 9
There aren't any legislative summaries for this state at this time. Please check back.
- 1/22/2018Preemption Watch Bill Tracking Summary
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 1/29/2016Bill advances to ban airport smoking rooms
- 1/18/2016Bill seeks to outlaw smoking in Salt Lake City airport
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 2/12/2013House OKs bill that bans smoking in cars with kids present
- 9/19/2012Lawmakers making another attempt at prohibiting smoking in cars with children
- 3/6/2012No exceptions
- 2/23/2012House passes ban on using e-cigarettes, hookahs in public
- 2/22/2012Bill to ban e-cigarettes, hookah smoking passes House
- 2/9/2012Utah House committee OKs hookah ban
- 1/23/2012Bill to ban e-cigarettte, hookah use in public places put on hold pending clarifications
- 9/13/2011Utah lawmakers: Smoking hookah OK in bars and clubs
- 8/29/2011Utah gives hookah the hook
- 3/3/2011Smoking-in-car-with-kids bill OK'd
- 2/1/2011Utah bill seeks to ban smoking in cars with kids
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 1/1/2009Smoking no longer allowed at Utah bars
- 12/15/2008Health departments send toolkits to help taverns, private clubs transition to smoke-free
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.