"Repeal the federal law that precludes [i.e. preempts] states and local governments from regulating tobacco promotion and advertising within their jurisdictions."Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences
All workplaces, restaurants, taverns and private clubs in Utah are 100% smokefree. Restaurants went smokefree in January 1995. The Utah Indoor Clean Air Act was strengthened in 2006, which extended smokefree provisions to all non-hospitality workplaces and day-care centers on May 1, 2006, and to private clubs and taverns on January 1, 2009 after an unfortunately long phase-in period.
Utah state law still "supersedes any ordinance enacted by a governing body of a political subdivision that restricts smoking and that is not essentially identical to the provisions of this chapter." Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Utah.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Utah's 2018 Legislative Session: January 22 - March 9
- 2/5/2018HB155—(government complex)—Smoke and Tobacco Free Capitol Hill—Failed House vote 27-43
- 2/23/2018HB324—(smoking definition)—Tobacco Regulations Amendment—Signed by Governor
- 4/13/2018Preemption Watch Bill Tracking Summary
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 1/29/2016Bill advances to ban airport smoking rooms
- 1/18/2016Bill seeks to outlaw smoking in Salt Lake City airport
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 2/12/2013House OKs bill that bans smoking in cars with kids present
- 9/19/2012Lawmakers making another attempt at prohibiting smoking in cars with children
- 3/6/2012No exceptions
- 2/23/2012House passes ban on using e-cigarettes, hookahs in public
- 2/22/2012Bill to ban e-cigarettes, hookah smoking passes House
- 2/9/2012Utah House committee OKs hookah ban
- 1/23/2012Bill to ban e-cigarettte, hookah use in public places put on hold pending clarifications
- 9/13/2011Utah lawmakers: Smoking hookah OK in bars and clubs
- 8/29/2011Utah gives hookah the hook
- 3/3/2011Smoking-in-car-with-kids bill OK'd
- 2/1/2011Utah bill seeks to ban smoking in cars with kids
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 1/1/2009Smoking no longer allowed at Utah bars
- 12/15/2008Health departments send toolkits to help taverns, private clubs transition to smoke-free
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.