"The American Public Health Association "(1) Opposes state and federal laws preempting local governments' ability and authority to enact their own more stringent restrictions on alcohol and tobacco availability; and (2) Supports local governments' home rule to sue their zoning, planning, and other local police powers to control alcohol and tobacco problems, including advertising and access."American Public Health Association, Resolution 9410, 1994
All of Maryland's enclosed workplaces, including restaurants, bars, and private clubs, are 100% smokefree as of February 1, 2008. Maryland's statewide smokefree victory followed years of hard work to enact strong local smokefree laws that covered 50% of Maryland's population, including laws in Montgomery County, Howard County, Prince George's County, Takoma Park, Kensington, Baltimore and Rockville. Read Maryland's smokefree law.
For more information about the smokefree law or to file a complaint, call the Clean Indoor Air Act Help Line at 1-866-703-3266 or visit the Maryland Department of Health.
Maryland law does not preempt the passage of local smokefree laws. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Maryland.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Maryland's 2018 Legislative Session: January 10 - April 10
- 1/31/2019HB27â€”(e-cigarette use)â€”An Act concerning the Clean Indoor Air Actâ€”Unfavorable Report by Economic Matters and withdrawn
- 7/31/2019States Are Thwarting Cities' Attempts to Govern Themselves
- 4/29/2019In Washington, Juul Vows to Curb Youth Vaping. Its Lobbying in States Runs Counter to That Pledge.
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/24/2016Bill would allow MGM National Harbor to open a cigar lounge in smoke-free Maryland
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 3/9/2011Bill to Ban Smoking in Cars With Kids May Reach Md. House Floor
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 4/3/2008MINNICK/STONE ATTEMPT TO AMEND SMOKING BAN FAILS
- 2/26/2008Exemption sought for smoking ban
- 1/27/2008Snuff out that cigarette
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.