"It's barely controlled chaos [at the local level]. We can't be everywhere at once. I give the anti-smoking people credit for their vision in that area."Walker Merryman
Vice President, Tobacco Institute
Massachusetts' workplaces, restaurants, and bars have been 100% smokefree since July 5, 2004. The law has limited exceptions for membership associations and smoking bars, which are defined as bars in which 51% or more of the revenue is generated by the sale of tobacco products. Massachusetts' statewide success was built upon strong 100% smokefree laws adopted in more than 100 local communities. Read Massachusetts's 100% smokefree law.
Massachusetts law does not preempt the passage of local smokefree laws. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Massachusetts.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Massachusetts' 2018 Legislative Session: January 3 - December 31
- 3/8/2019H1310—(public housing)—An Act preventing a public housing tenant from using the premises for smoking
- 3/8/2019H1909—(vehicles with minors)—An Act to protect little lungs
- 3/8/2019H1929—(outdoor venues)—An Act to ban smoking in certain public places
- 3/8/2019H1960—(multi-unit housing)—An Act protecting youth from second hand smoke
- 3/8/2019H3475—(outdoor monuments)—An Act for legislation to prohibit smoking within 100 feet of a public monument or memorial
- 1/31/2019S1244—(public housing)—An Act prohibiting smoking near public housing buildings
- 7/20/2016Urgent! Speak up today to protect MA kids!
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 7/31/2019States Are Thwarting Cities' Attempts to Govern Themselves
- 4/29/2019In Washington, Juul Vows to Curb Youth Vaping. Its Lobbying in States Runs Counter to That Pledge.
- 1/3/2019Massachusetts New Smoking Law is Now in Effect
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 7/25/2016State lawmakers urged to pass stricter tobacco laws
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 6/16/2016State lawmakers urge passage of tough new tobacco regulations
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 10/30/2013Bill regulating e-cigarettes OK'd by committee
- 1/29/2012Ten years later, we're healthier
- 11/22/2011Patrick signs casino bill into law
- 11/14/2011Casino bill edges closer to governor's desk
- 9/15/2011Massachusetts House approves casino gambling
- 8/24/2011State leaders agree on casino bill
- 7/22/2011Snuff out stogies
- 6/4/2011LTE: Policies, enforcement critical to protecting public health
- 6/1/2011Local power goes up in smoke
- 1/6/2011State seeks to make hospitals smoke-free
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 7/11/2009Bill expands smoking ban in state
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.