"RESOLVED: That the American Cancer Society opposes any preemption clauses that are intended to remove or restrict power and authority from a unit of local government or regulate clean indoor air and/or other tobacco control laws."American Cancer Society
State Preemption of Local Tobacco Control Laws, March 1992
New Mexico 100% smokefree law in effect!
New Mexico's restaurants and bars are 100% smokefree as of June 15, 2007. TheDee Johnson Clean Indoor Air Act brought smokefree air to most New Mexico non-hospitality workplaces as well, however workplaces with fewer than two employees, as well as bingo parlours and casinos, are exempt. The law includes a strong anti-preemption clause, maintaining local communities' right to pass smokefree ordinances within their jurisdictions. The statewide victory came on the heels of many local success stories. Read New Mexico's 100% smokefree law.
New Mexico law does not preempt the passage of local smokefree laws. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in New Mexico.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
New Mexico's 2018 Legislative Session: January 16 - February 15
- 1/31/2019HB17—(vehicles with minors)—A bill relating to offenses against public health
- 1/31/2019HB256—(workplaces and e-cigarette use)—An Act relating to public health—Signed by Governor on 4/2
- 3/8/2019SB338—(e-cigarette use)—An Act relating to public health—Passed Senate Public Affairs Committee
- 1/31/2019SB61—(e-cigarette use)—An Act relating to public health—Died
- 7/31/2019States Are Thwarting Cities' Attempts to Govern Themselves
- 4/29/2019In Washington, Juul Vows to Curb Youth Vaping. Its Lobbying in States Runs Counter to That Pledge.
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 2/4/2016Proposed indoor e-cigarette ban in New Mexico introduced
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 2/10/2009Legislature takes up smoking issues
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.