"You can't sue every place every time... or even send people to challenge every proposal every place anymore."Thomas Lauria
Communities in Alabama are taking good advantage of their local control by enacting strong, 100% smokefree air laws, including Auburn, Bayou La Batre, Birmingham, Decatur, Orange Beach, and Talladega.
Learn how you can get involved in smokefree efforts in your area or around the state, by visiting Tobacco Free Alabama.
Alabama law does not preempt the passage of local smokefree laws. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Alabama.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Alabama's 2018 Legislative Session: January 9 - April 4
- 1/5/2018HB26—(vehicles with minors)—An Act to prohibit the smoking of tobacco products in motor vehicles when a minor is present—Re-referred to Committee on County and Municipal Government
- 4/13/2018Preemption Watch Bill Tracking Summary
- 3/6/2014Speak out against Alabama's weak smokefree bill!
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 3/12/2014Alabama House Health Committee kills bill to restrict smoking in workplaces
- 5/27/2012OUR VIEW: Legislature blows it on statewide smoke-free law
- 3/6/2012OUR VIEW: Two smoke-free bills are being considered by House and Senate
- 2/29/2012Figures' smoking ban bill back before Ala. Senate
- 2/10/2012OUR VIEW: Smoke-free law badly needed, but not as a constitutional amendment or with an exception for private clubs
- 1/11/2012Senator seeks limits on smoking
- 4/27/2011Strong smoke-free laws are spreading across the country, but in the Alabama Legislature, they may not be going anywhere
- 3/23/2011Statewide Smoking Ban Stalls
- 4/23/2010Ban on smoking in Alabama restaurants fails in Legislature
- 4/15/2010Sen. Vivian Figures' smoking ban nears final passage
- 4/6/2010Ala. Senate votes to ban smoking in restaurants
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.