"Advocate for local government legislative and regulatory autonomy to control tobacco. Support initiatives to repeal preemptive statutes or replace preemptive language in existing state legislation with specific non-preemptive language. Support the inclusion of specific anti-preemption language in all tobacco control legislation and oppose legislation containing any preemptive language. Expose legislative tactics that seek to rescind existing local tobacco control ordinances or invoke ‘super-preemption' of all local tobacco control legislation through language added to minor or unrelated bills."Association of State and Territorial Health Officials
Policy Statement on Tobacco Use Prevention and Control, July 2000
As of January 1, 2009, all of Oregon's non-hospitality workplaces, restaurants, and bars are 100% smokefree. Additionally, the 2009 law restored local control to allow all Oregonian communities to enact their own smokefree laws. Read Oregon's 100% smokefree law. Starting January 1, 2016, the use of e-cigarettes and marijuana is prohibited wherever smoking is not allowed.
On June 26, 2007, Oregon Governor Ted Kulongowski signed the law that closed the loopholes and repealed the preemptive language in Oregon's 2002 Smokefree Workplace Law.
Oregon state law is no longer preemptive. Oregon state law was preemptive 2002-2008, and provided that "A local county, district, municipality, port or political subdivision of this state may not prohibit smoking in any areas listed in this section unless the local government prohibition was passed before July 1, 2001." Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Oregon.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Oregon's 2018 Legislative Session: February 5 - March 12
There aren't any legislative summaries for this state at this time. Please check back.
- 4/13/2018Preemption Watch Bill Tracking Summary
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 1/2/2016Indoor Use Of E-Cigarettes No Longer Allowed In Oregon
- 12/8/2015Law bans vaporizers, e-cigarettes in public buildings
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 11/7/2014Oregon agency won't press for beach smoking ban
- 8/21/2014Oregon may ban smoking along 363-mile coastline
- 5/22/2011Hookah bar slips through legislative loophole
- 4/29/2011Bill sets limits on smoke shops
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 2/3/2010As Oregon becomes increasingly smokefree, people are breathing easier
- 11/10/2009Study shows most Oregon bars are now smokefree
- 4/21/2009Hookah owners gasp at proposed law revision
- 1/1/2009More patrons, employees to breath easier Jan. 1
- 12/3/2008Smoke-free mandate set to begin Jan. 1
- 10/31/2008Workplaces preparing for Jan. 1 anti-smoking law
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
- 11/12/2010Oregon Indoor Clean Air Act Compliance Study
- 11/12/2010Oregon Indoor Clean Air Act Compliance Study Report 2009
- 11/18/2005Resolution: Morrow County, OR