"Local action by communities has proven to be effective in enforcing youth access legislation and reducing tobacco use among young persons. However, the tobacco industry has been equally successful in weakening local control and community involvement through state laws containing preemption provisions."Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, November 3, 1995
Kentucky is working to support a statewide smokefree air law to protect the health of all Kentucky workers. Please visit Smoke Free Kentucky to learn more and to get involved.
ANR recognizes Kentucky as a national leader in protection from secondhand smoke in the workplace. With the passage of numerous local smokefree laws, including Lexington, Louisville and capital-city Frankfort, Kentucky is making progress toward ensuring the right of all citizens to breathe smokefree air in workplaces and public places.
Visit the University of Kentucky's Kentucky Tobacco Policy Research Program to learn more about these laws.
Kentucky law does not preempt the passage of local smokefree laws. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Kentucky.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Kentucky's 2018 Legislative Session: January 2 - April 15
- 1/31/2019BR234—(schools)—An Act relating to student health
- 1/31/2019BR312—(schools)—An Act relating to student health
- 2/10/2015Take Action for a Smokefree Kentucky!
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 7/31/2019States Are Thwarting Cities' Attempts to Govern Themselves
- 4/29/2019In Washington, Juul Vows to Curb Youth Vaping. Its Lobbying in States Runs Counter to That Pledge.
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 4/5/2017Public support growing for state smoking ban
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 12/6/2016Kentucky Chamber President Shares Legislative Priorities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 3/14/2016Up in smoke: This year's smoking-ban bill dead
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 1/12/2016KY should join 24 states that ban workplace smoking
- 1/5/2016Poll Shows Steady Support for Statewide Smoke-Free Law in KY
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 3/9/2015Senate leadership kills statewide smoking-ban
- 3/2/2015Smoking ban bill dead for this year
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 2/23/2015Smoking ban bills assigned to committee that appears unlikely to send to full Senate
- 2/18/2015Eyes of Kentucky turn to the Senate
- 2/13/2015Statewide smoking ban passes Ky House
- 2/9/2015Op-Ed: Keep an Open Mind About Proposed Smoking Ban
- 1/7/2015Calls for a smoke-free Kentucky grow
- 12/6/2014Kentucky Hospitals Advocate for Smoke-Free Workplaces
- 9/5/2014Beshear extends smoking ban to all state property
- 7/21/2014Smoke-Free Kentucky Coalition sending van all over state to push for new laws in 2015
- 2/26/2014Statewide smoking ban doesn't have enough support in House, for now
- 1/27/2014Kentucky smoking ban is cloudy issue
- 1/8/2014Statewide smoking legislation filed in Frankfort
- 12/30/2013Bullitt Fiscal Court to vote on smoking ban ordinance
- 11/21/2013Group Urges Statewide Smoking Ban
- 11/20/2013Letter: Ky. needs to enact smoke-free law
- 9/30/2013Northern Kentucky board endorses state smoking ban
- 7/23/2013Letter: Making Kentucky a smoke-free state
- 6/22/2013Public smoking ban overdue in Kentucky
- 3/15/2013Blowing smoke about the smoking ban
- 2/28/2013Bill for Statewide Smoking Ban Dies in General Assembly
- 2/14/2013Governor continues push for statewide smoking ban
- 1/13/2013Editorial | It's time to make Kentucky smoke-free
- 1/10/2013Smoking Ban Advocates Once Again Face Senate Roadblock
- 12/9/2012Court Rules Health Boards Can Pass Smoking Bans
- 10/24/2012Bullitt County government, health department battle over smoking ban
- 7/30/2012Group Pushing Statewide Smoking Ban Touring State, Including Warren and Pulaski Counties
- 3/13/2012Statewide smoking ban clears panel, but isn't likely to get House vote
- 3/8/2012Statewide smoking ban proposal not brought up in committee
- 1/24/2012Statewide smoke-free law will aid Ky. health, economy
- 1/20/2012State Rep. introduces statewide ban legislation
- 12/25/2011Kentucky: Go smoke-free
- 10/20/2011Kentucky lawmaker to propose statewide smoking ban
- 9/15/2011Judge strikes down Bullitt smoking ban
- 1/12/2011Push for smoke-free Ky. at local and state levels
- 1/12/2011Stumbo's bill would target smokers in cars with children
- 1/8/2011EDITORIAL: A smoking ban
- 1/6/2011Statewide smoking ban sought in Kentucky
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 1/14/2009Statewide ban a smoke screen
- 1/13/2009Lawmaker Calls For Statewide Smoking Ban
- 11/30/2008Statewide indoor-smoking rules sound health policy
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.