"The American Lung Association/American Thoracic Society opposes all forms of preemption of state and local tobacco control authority. The ability of any government entity to enact tobacco control legislation is a cornerstone of an effective tobacco control policy. There is no trade-off worth the price of preempting a state or community's right to pass tobacco legislation."American Lung Association
Policy Principle on Tobacco, April 1999
All restaurants and bars in Colorado are 100% smokefree as of July 1, 2006, and non-tribal casinos are 100% smokefree as of January 1, 2008. The law unfortunately does not protect all workers in Colorado because workplaces with three or fewer employees and cigar bars are exempted. Colorado does protect local control, so cities and counties may still pass stronger smokefree laws at the local level. Read Colorado's 100% smokefree law.
Colorado achieved a major victory by going back to strengthen its statewide smokefree law to include non-tribal casinos in order to protect casino employees from very high rates of secondhand smoke exposure.
For more information on the law, visit SmokeFree
Colorado or call your local
To report a violation, call the non-emergency telephone number of the local law enforcement agency.
Colorado law does not preempt the passage of local smokefree laws. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Colorado.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Colorado's 2018 Legislative Session: January 10 - May 10
- 4/17/2019HB1230—(broad marijuana exemptions)—An Act Concerning Marijuana Hospitality Establishments—Signed by Governor on 5/29
- 1/31/2019HB19-1076—(workplaces and e-cigarette use)—A bill concerning updates to the Colorado Clean Indoor Air Act—Signed by Governor on 5/29
- 4/10/2019Colorado, It's Time to Modernize the CCIAA
- 3/28/2017We need you to call or email today for Colorado
- 2/13/2017Take Action: Protect Smokefree Air in Colorado
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 7/31/2019States Are Thwarting Cities' Attempts to Govern Themselves
- 4/29/2019In Washington, Juul Vows to Curb Youth Vaping. Its Lobbying in States Runs Counter to That Pledge.
- 4/18/2019Bill banning e-cigarette use indoors passes Colorado House; heads to Senate
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 7/1/2016Clean Indoor Act reaches milestone
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 12/28/2012Colorado's Casinos Reach Five-Year Anniversary of Smoke-Free Air!
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 1/22/2009Smoking ban might be eased
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.