"Repeal the federal law that precludes [i.e. preempts] states and local governments from regulating tobacco promotion and advertising within their jurisdictions."Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences
Michigan's workplaces, restaurants, and bars are smokefree!
On May 1, 2010, all of Michigan's non-hospitality workplaces, restaurants, and bars are smokefree. After ten years of debate, Michigan's legislature enacted the smokefree law, which was signed by Governor Granholm on December 18, 2009. Congratulations to all the individuals, organizations, and policymaker champions that helped speak up and take action to achieve this public health victory!
To learn about the new smokefree law, visit MI Department of Health's webpage at www.michigan.gov/smokefreelaw or call 1-866-59-SMOKE.
Unfortunately, casino floors were exempted from the law due to politics and gaming industry lobbyists. The law is a historic step forward and will protect the health of millions in Michigan, but it's important to remember that the job is not done yet because it still leaves behind the people MOST exposed to secondhand smoke and MOST in need of a law to ensure clean air in the workplace.
To learn about smokefree efforts in Michigan, visit www.makemiairsmokefree.org.
Michigan law preempts local governments from enacting smoking restrictions in restaurants and bars, due to a 2001 ruling by a Michigan appeals court. Read more about current tobacco-related legislation in Michigan.
Current tobacco-related statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control's Tobacco Control State Highlights, 2010.
Michigan's 2018 Legislative Session: January 9 - TBD
There aren't any legislative summaries for this state at this time. Please check back.
- 1/22/2018Preemption Watch Bill Tracking Summary
- 2/4/2011What's happening in the U.S. Territories and Commonwealths?
- 10/13/2017State lawmakers choose winners and losers through preemption
- 7/6/2017Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won't Let Them.
- 5/10/2017The Threat of Super-Preemption
- 3/6/2017Preemption Prevents Innovation
- 2/21/2017City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-by-State Analysis
- 2/2/2017Red State, Blue City
- 1/5/2017GOP aims to rein in liberal cities
- 9/9/2016How ALEC, ACCE, and Preemption Laws are Gutting the Powers of American Cities
- 8/22/2016Blue Cities, Red States
- 6/28/2016Colorado Preemptions of Local Government: The Need for the Colorado Community Rights Amendment
- 6/23/2016State and Local Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars--United States, 2015
- 4/6/2016From Fracking Bans To Paid Sick Leave: How States Are Overruling Local Laws
- 4/1/2016Growing Southern cities are increasingly targets of state pre-emption
- 3/25/2016Beyond North Carolina's LGBT Battle: States' War on Cities
- 2/4/2016Corporate Interests Take Aim at Local Democracy
- 8/6/2015Blowing the Whistle on ALEC's Little Brother ACCE
- 7/7/2015Four Ways ALEC Tried to Ruin Your State this Year
- 5/17/2015Say no: States increasingly blocking cities and counties from imposing mandates on businesses
- 5/8/2015State lawmakers hate federal meddling even as they preempt local government
- 3/30/2015The ALEC-Backed War on Local Democracy
- 3/8/2015State bars municipalities from enacting tobacco laws
- 2/23/2015Govern Yourselves, State Lawmakers Tell Cities, but Not Too Much
- 1/28/2014Proposal would loosen Michigan's ban on smoking in restaurants, bars and public venues
- 12/2/2013Support Building for State to 'Butt Out' of Outdoor Restaurants' Smoking Policies
- 9/3/2013MLive readers divided on change to Michigan's smoke-free law
- 8/19/2013Health officials in Saginaw and Bay counties say change to Michigan's smoking-ban law raises questions
- 8/8/2013Restaurant Association To No Longer Fight Smoking Ban
- 4/15/2013Michigan smoking ban goes too far, lawmaker says
- 10/15/2012Smoking gun? Study shows little impact from smoking ban, but trade group pushes for options
- 9/17/2012New U-M study finds smoking ban has not killed the bottom line if bars, restaurants
- 5/14/2012Smoke Free Air Law good for state
- 5/12/2012Letter: Smoke-free law is working for Michigan, Ottawa County
- 5/6/2012Efforts to roll back Michigan's smoking ban should be soundly rejected
- 5/2/2012Michigan Lawmakers Tinker With State Smoking Ban
- 4/24/2012Michigan Senate adds exemption to workplace smoking ban
- 7/8/2011Another View: The facts are indisputable that smokefree air law is good for Michigan
- 6/23/2011New legislation to be introduced to amend Smoke-Free Air Law
- 1/3/2011Overall, data finds smoking ban positive
- 12/13/2010Michigan smoking ban necessary, according to a new report
- 12/8/2010Legislation to allow smoking rooms may be a lost cause
- 7/10/2010Legislation would make Detroit casinos smoke-free
- 6/4/2010Ann Arbor bars report no loss of business one month after Michigan's smoking ban
- 6/1/2010New smoking ban draws few violation complaints
- 4/30/2010Michigan to eat, drink smoke-free Saturday
- 4/18/2010Many Ann Arbor restaurant, bar owners eager to snuff out smoking as ban approaches
- 4/16/2010Restaurants smell new opportunity with May 1 smoking ban
- 4/6/2010Events to explain smoke-free law
- 4/1/2010Michigan eateries snuff out smoking before ban
- 3/10/2010Few Businesses Fret Over May 1st Smoking Ban
- 2/5/2010State Preemption of Local Smoke-Free Laws in Government Work Sites, Private Work Sites, and Restaurants United States, 2005-2009
- 12/18/2009Michigan governor signs smoking ban at brew pub
- 12/18/2009Michigan smoking ban to get governor's signature today
- 12/10/2009Public smoking ban heads to Granholm's desk
- 12/7/2009Smoking debate rises from ashes
- 12/5/2009Michigan House Speaker has end-of-session goals
- 11/18/2009Senate has not yet taken action on smoking ban bill
- 8/25/2009Bill lets Michigan towns decide on restaurant smoking
- 7/22/2009Supreme Court Upholds Regional Smoking Ban
- 7/11/2009Businesses make moves to ban smoking
- 6/17/2009Sen. George urges vote on smoking ban
- 5/27/2009Michigan House OKs smoking ban
- 5/21/2009Partial smoking ban clears 1st hurdle
- 4/28/2009Editorial: Michigan lawmakers should do their duty and decide on smoking ban
- 4/8/2009House shelves workplace smoking ban
- 3/31/2009Committee vote postponed for state smoking ban
- 3/18/2009State public smoking ban debate reopens in Lansing
- 3/16/2009New faces in Legislature may not change opinion on smoking ban for all public places
- 1/29/2009Court decision may impact local smoking law
- 1/27/2009Mich. counties, businesses clash on smoking bans
- 1/14/2009Smoking Ban Could Get Re-lit
- 12/19/2008Public smoking ban fizzles
- 12/16/2008Michigan lawmakers discuss differences on public smoking ban
- 12/1/2008Key issues for Legislature to tackle
- 10/7/2008Making their pitches
- 9/24/2008Detroit casinos tie up smoking ban in state House
- 9/11/2008Lawmakers push to finalize extent of smoking ban
- 8/8/2008Proos Expects State Budget Agreement Soon
- 6/28/2008Action to ban smoking fizzles
- 5/29/2008House softens smoking ban
- 5/15/2008Smoking ban vote delayed
- 5/9/2008Public smoking nears its last gasp
- 4/23/2008State smoking ban good for business
- 4/1/2008Lawmakers propose smoking ban bills
There aren't any press releases for this state at this time. Please check back.
State Specific Resources
There aren't any state specific resources at this time. Please check back.